The answers appear after the last question, number 20.
1. What are the principal kinds of folktales?
a. novels, romances, and myths
b. myths, legends, and fairy tales
c. essays, legends, and songs
d. fairy tales, poems, and myths
2. Where is the home of the Greek gods?
a. Mt. Olympus
b. Mt. McKinley
c. Mt. Everest
d. The Himalayas
3. What day is derived from the Norse god Thor?
4. What is a mythical Arabian bird?
5. Who was the Greek god of the sea?
6. Who was known as the Master Lumberjack?
a. Paul Bunyan
b. Pecos Bill
c. Bowleg Bill
d. John Henry
7. What is the name of a folk story partly in song or verse?
b. tall tale
d. cante fable
8. Who wrote Household Tales in the early 19th century?
a. Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm
b. Mother Goose
c. Andrew Lang
d. Hans Christian Andersen
9. What nationality was folklorist Andrew Lang?
10. What nationality was Hans Christian Andersen?
11. Zeus is from what country's myths?
12. What was the profession of Casey Jones?
a. locomotive engineer
c. baseball player
d. opera singer
13. Who is a trickster-hero in West African folktales?
a. Anansi the Spider
b. Billy the Kid
c. Tasham the Lion
d. Kinlaw the Goat
14. What is the German word for fairy tales?
15. Where did the Brer Rabbit stories originate?
a. West Africa
16. Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love and marriage, was called what in Roman mythology?
17. The line "Fee-fi-fo-fum/I smell the blood of an Englishman" is from what folktale?
a. "Old Joe Clark"
b. "Lousy Miner"
c. "The Devil and Tom Walker"
d. "Jack and the Beanstalk"
18. "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" was written by whom?
a. Mark Twain
b. John Steinbeck
c. John Robb
d. Fannie McCormick
19. Who was the Egyptian patron goddess of mariners?
20. Who was the ferryman of the River Styx?
Answers: 1-b, 2-a, 3-d, 4-a, 5-c, 6-a, 7-d, 8-a, 9-d, 10-c, 11-d, 12-a, 13-a, 14-c, 15-a, 16-d, 17-d, 18-a, 19-d, 20-a
A Literary Quiz (Index)
African-American Writers (Kindle Book)
American Humorists and Wits (Kindle Book)
American Southern Writers (Kindle Book)
Children's Literature Writers of the Past (Kindle Book)
Memorable Quotations: Polish Writers
Memorable Quotations: Russian Writers
Memorable Quotations: Science Fiction Writers
Memorable Quotations: Scottish Writers
Memorable Quotations: Victorian Writers
Memorable Quotations: Women Writers
Memorable Quotations: American Women Writers
Memorable Quotations: British Women Writers
Memorable Quotations: Jewish Women Writers
Memorable Quotations: Women Short Story Writers