Essay: "A loose sally of the mind; an irregular undigested piece." --Samuel Johnson
The answers appear after the last question, number 14.
1. Being and Nothingness was written by whom?
a. Albert Camus
b. Jean Paul Sartre
c. John Adams
d. Diana Windsor
2. Who wrote Culture and Anarchy?
b. Pliny the Elder
c. Matthew Arnold
d. Pliny the Younger
3. In Culture and Anarchy, the Barbarians are what in British society?
a. the lower class
b. the middle class
c. the monarchy
d. the upper class
4. What famous essayist wrote, "Cogito, ergo sum" ?
a. Rene Descartes
b. George Santayana
c. John Ruskin
d. William Cog
5. What does "Cogito, ergo sum" mean?
a. I know, therefore you exist.
b. I think, therefore I am.
c. I see, therefore it's clear.
d. Come, we go.
6. How many essays are in The Federalist?
7. How was The Federalist signed?
b. We, The People
d. Benjamin Franklin and Company
8. Who wrote in The Fire Next Time, "black has become a beautiful color because it is feared."?
a. Malcolm X
b. Harriet Tubman
c. Booker T. Washington
d. James Baldwin
9. What does Jonathan Swift suggest in A Modest Proposal?
a. Irish children be raised for meat
b. English children be raised for meat
c. Irish children be taught to read Latin
d. English children be sent to America
10. Where did Eldridge Cleaver serve time?
a. Allegheny County Jail
c. Folsom Prison
d. Mississippi State Prison
11. Which of the following was written by Eldridge Cleaver?
a. Soul on Ice
b. Miami Vice
c. The Fire Next Time
d. I Have a Dream
12. Who wrote The Myth of Sisyphus?
13. Which English philosopher wrote Leviathan?
a. Thomas Hobbes
b. Charles Dickens
c. Peter Whales
d. Sir. Kenneth Fishburn
14. A leviathan is also called what?
a. a rat
b. a whale
c. a rose
d. a leaf
Answers: 1-b, 2-c, 3-d, 4-a, 5-b, 6-b, 6-b, 7-a, 8-d, 9-a, 10-c, 11-a, 12-b, 13-a, 14-b
A Literary Quiz (Index)
Essayists of the Past (Kindle Book)
Ralph Waldo Emerson (Kindle Book)
George Bernard Shaw and Oscar Wilde (Kindle Book)
Great American Writers (Kindle Book)
Memorable Quotations: Essayists (A - L)
Memorable Quotations: Essayists (M - Z)
Memorable Quotations: James Baldwin
Memorable Quotations: Lord Byron
Memorable Quotations from Albert Camus
Memorable Quotations: Ralph Waldo Emerson
Memorable Quotations: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Memorable Quotations: Samuel Johnson
Memorable Quotations: George Santayana
Memorable Quotations: Jonathan Swift
Memorable Quotations from Henry David Thoreau
Memorable Quotations: Leo Tolstoy
Memorable Quotations: African-American Writers
Memorable Quotations: Australian Writers
Memorable Quotations: Austrian Writers
Memorable Quotations: Edwardian Writers
Memorable Quotations: Elizabethan Writers
Memorable Quotations: Italian Writers
Memorable Quotations: Victorian Writers
Memorable Quotations: Women Writers
Memorable Quotations: American Women Writers
Memorable Quotations: British Women Writers
Memorable Quotations: Jewish Women Writers
Memorable Quotations: Women Short Story Writers